Wisdom Teeth Extraction in Boca Raton
Wisdom teeth are the third or last set of molars. Located in the upper and lower jaws, these teeth are the last to erupt, usually in later adolescences or early adulthood, the period when a person reaches the age of wisdom; hence the name ‘wisdom tooth.’
Often, there isn’t enough room in the mouth to accommodate these teeth. When there isn’t enough space in the mouth, a number of problems can develop, including:
- Extreme pain
- Shifting teeth
Even people who do have enough space to accommodate their third molars can experience problems. Often, it is difficult to reach them, making it virtually impossible to properly brush and floss the teeth. Without proper oral hygiene, the wisdom tooth can eventually decay.
Why are Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
Extracting a wisdom tooth is the procedure that is used to remove the wisdom teeth from the jaw and the mouth. There are several reasons why the third molars may need to be removed, including:
- Decay – Because the wisdom teeth are situated so far back in the mouth, it can be difficult to clean them. Without proper brushing and flossing, food can get trapped around the wisdom tooth, or between these teeth and the teeth that surround them. In time, the wisdom tooth and the teeth surrounding them will start to decay.
- Impaction – When there isn’t enough space in the mouth to accommodate the third molars, impaction occurs. A tooth becomes impacted when it is blocked and can’t push through the gums.
- Shifting teeth – As the wisdom teeth grow in, the can push and shift other teeth. This can cause the teeth to become crooked, or can impact the bite of the mouth.
Signs Extraction is Needed
There are several signs that indicate an extraction is necessary, including:
- Pain or stiffness in the jaw
- A flap of gum tissue that has formed on top of a partially impacted tooth (part of the tooth has broken through the gum, but part of it remains under the gum.
- Crowding of the rest of the teeth
- The development of decay or gum disease
Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Your dentist will determine if your wisdom tooth, or teeth need to be removed. A thorough evaluation of your mouth will be performed and X-rays will be taken. Your dentist will determine which procedure will work best to remove your wisdom teeth. Typically, oral surgery is the method used to remove the wisdom teeth.
Ericsson Dental specializes in the extraction of wisdom teeth in Boca Raton, FL. He uses the most advanced techniques and state-of-the-art equipment to ensure you are as comfortable as possible, that the procedure is efficient and that the teeth are completely removed from your jaw.
Dr. Ericsson and his staff have extracted the wisdom teeth of countless patients in Boca Raton, FL, delivering a completely pain-free experience and a successful extraction. If you are having issues with your wisdom teeth, schedule an appointment with Ericsson Dental as possible.