Tooth Extraction in Boca Raton
A tooth extraction is one of the most common dental procedures performed. In simple terms, a tooth extraction means having a tooth removed. Though your permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, there are a number of reasons why an extraction may be necessary. For example, if a tooth has been badly damaged as a result of decay, or it has broken, an extraction may be necessary. An extraction may also be necessary if:
- You have extra teeth in your mouth that are blocking other teeth from growing in (overcrowding.)
- Your wisdom teeth are impacted, are causing pain, are shifting the rest of your teeth, or are decaying.
- There is the risk of an infection.
- You have baby teeth that haven’t fallen out and are preventing your adult teeth from growing in.
Preparing for a Tooth Extraction
Your dentist will perform a thorough assessment of your mouth, which will include taking an X-ray of the area that the tooth will be extracted from. This will allow your dentist to the best technique to use to remove the tooth. If you have an infection at the time the surgery will be performed, your immune system is weakened, you have a particular medical condition or you will be having a lengthy tooth extraction procedure, your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics that will be taken prior to and after the surgery.
The Tooth Extraction Process
There are two processes that are used to extract a tooth:
- A Simple Extraction – This procedure is done on a tooth that can be seen in the mouth. To remove the tooth, the dentist will loosen it with a tool called an elevator, and use forceps to remove it.
- A Surgical Extraction – This is a more complex procedure and is used to remove impacted teeth, or a tooth that has broken off at the gum. During this procedure, the gum surrounding the tooth will be cut away and the tooth will be removed with forceps.
The process of extracting a tooth begins with numbing the affected area to ensure you are comfortable during the procedure. An injection of a local anesthetic is the most common method used to numb the area where the tooth will be removed. If you are having several teeth extracted, or you have an impacted tooth, you may be given a stronger general anesthetic to ensure your comfort. A general anesthetic will prevent you from feeling any pain and will allow you to sleep while the procedure is being done.
If you live in Boca Raton, FL and need a tooth extraction, contact Ericsson Dental. Using the most advanced techniques and state-of-the-art tools, Dr. Ericsson and his staff will remove your tooth as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Your comfort is of paramount concern to Dr. Ericsson. He will make you as comfortable as possible prior to the surgery so that you feel little to no pain during the procedure. You can rest assured that your health and comfort will be in the best hands at Ericsson Dental.